Monday, January 3, 2011

Winter Winds (Prose Poem)

A crisp winter night spent in the same place were so many memories were made in summers passed. I never attended the school but every time I went there I found myself at ease, at home.
This specific night I strayed from the group of people to sit on the swing furthest away. I wanted to enjoy the darkness in peace. I hadn't realized the chains were full of ice until the brisk wind was hitting my face but I couldn't feel it on my hands. I didn't care. The stars were so distracting I couldn't look anywhere else. The sky completely clear. I had forgotten I was leaning back in the swing, refusing to look away from the soft sky, my arms quickly fell asleep. I then forced myself against gravity and pulled my body up strait.
"How could things have changed so quickly?"
Under these same stars after the sun went down on warm summer nights, I would listen to the sweet sound of a close friend playing out his dreams on the guitar. This was our sacred place. Somewhere to come when it was too late to go anywhere else. A place to go to search for shooting stars and real conversation. Everyone has forgotten that now. Always looking for something better to do because the people present aren't enough. Just some kids you have one or two things in common with. Not enough to enjoy the wonder of a simple night.
There's no way to describe the summer from two years ago, except... maybe.. free. We were never bored, we didn't even know the meaning of the word.
I opened my eyes wider in the darkness. I heard the murmuring getting louder with more excitement in the unfamiliar voices. "Are we leaving?" I asked in disbelief. I didn't even have to ask, I already knew the answer. Dragging my feet on the padded ground beneath me the swing slowed down enough for me to agonizingly slide off. After I shoved my slightly blue hands into my pockets I walked away knowing it wouldn't be long before I visited the familiar place again.

No comments:

Post a Comment